Monday, March 22, 2010

No More Diapers Here!

He's finally done it, Gavin is potty trained! I was sure he was ready last summer (at age 2.5) so we started the roller coaster adventure of potty training. After two weeks of gross and random pools of pee and mountains of poop on my flooring, he got the flu and we scurried back into the security of diapers and I glumly admitted defeat. He just wasn't ready. Now, I have to explain the reasons for my confusion here. Kyla potty trained by her second birthday, in an easy week of sticker treats and few accidents. I, of course, assumed it was due to my amazing parenting. Hmmm, turns out it may have just been her:)

After Thanksgiving, I was sure he was ready, so we tried again. We bought the expensive and "proven to work" toilet, bought the favorite character undies, and the "cars" pull ups. We celebrated, gave treats (marshmallows), and soon began bribing, all to no avail. He had figured out the pee thing as long as I reminded him every hour, every day, every week! But the poop thing, yeah, not so great. He would poop in his diaper, his pull up, his undies, or on his bed (Seriously!). He would go and hide to go poop, and then come back and tell me with a snarky little voice that he needed changed. We were down to a fierce battle of wills, mine verses Gavin's. It was unbelievable, his will was like iron as was mine. We were at a standoff. By mid-January, I had had enough, I was done, no more for me! On Gavin's birthday weekend, I desperately pleaded with Chad, "Please, Please, Please take over potty training this weekend, I just can't do it anymore!" He flippantly replied, "I'll have him trained by the end of the weekend." My little heart was grateful for his willingness to partake in this fun parenting stage, my heart was also giddy with the knowledge of his defeat, potty train Gav in a weekend, Yeah right!!

I'm humbled to say that it worked. Chad laid down the law, Gav couldn't leave the kitchen (the only room with linoleum for easy clean up) nor could he play with all his new toys until he had pooped in his potty. Oh, and he couldn't have any clothes on, not even his cool undies. No exceptions, do not pass go. The kicker was the new bike. Gav wanted to ride his new bike so badly, but little boys can't ride their bike outside in the winter naked. The first day was a bit trying for my logical husband, but the second day was a success.


He's had accidents since, of course, but has been very successful since that long ago weekend in February:) We still use pull ups at nap time and bedtime, I'm just not ready for that battle yet. Most of the time he's dry anyway when he wakes up.


So no more diapers here. This is now officially a diaper free zone!


I shudder even as I pass that dreaded diaper isle at the store. "No more," I say, "No more!"

1 comment:

Jolina said...

congrats Gavin!! that is awesome..