Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Hungry Hippo

A while back I decided that I would make Gav a new backpack for our trip east this summer. During this decision making time, Kyla brought home a book from school titled "The Hippo Ate the Teacher." All of a sudden, I had to make a hippo backpack. More specifically, (Say this with a three year old speech impediment) a hippopotamus backpack. I'm too cheap to go and buy a pattern and I didn't take the time to find a tutorial online, nope, I just jumped right into the fray. My brain smoked with the effort and Chad and the kiddos are surely tired of my frustrated mumbling and vacant stares, but my sewing machine and I have created (more like birthed) a hippo backpack to be proud of:)


There were a couple of vital requirements as I mapped out my project; a water bottle holder, a drawstring closure, adjustable straps and of course, the ever important hippo.


The hippo was the real hurdle. I can't draw. It's not that I don't or that don't have time to, it's the fact that I truly have no skills in this area. I was unable to find a hippo stencil (are you really surprised?) and so I had to free hand this baby. In the end, he turned out to be a very hungry hippo with his head just a bit out of proportion to his body. Sound like anyone you know? Yes, I'm meaning my son:) He was such a hungry hippo that I had to give him some grass to eat for fear of being gnawed on:)


I must have gotten it somewhat close though. My hippo lover was able to take on look and exclaim his joy, a hippo backpack!


Everything used on this project/test of love is from my stash. The straps were made from a belt I purchased from the dollar store (wahooo!) and all the widgets/hardware were remnants from refashions. The fabric was new, a hand me down gift from my MNL. I won't say this was an easy project, but the end result is so much better than I expected half way through the trauma, I mean half way through the work. You can't get better payment for a job well done than a face cracking smile and jumps for joy.

No comments: